The SF Youth Soccer Community
LeeDunne
05/18/2023

From my perspective, and belief, this is more chicken and egg situation.

The players need to play more to help them realize their own needs - experiential and reality-based learning.

They need more improved skill to help them enjoy playing more - percevied competence.

Chicken and the egg! 

How would I go about this?

1 to 1.5 hours per week is not enough.

I would organize more - utilize team time, set up scrimmages, use your school blacktop for after school pick up (as free ways to get more going) - to begin to expose your players to playing more. 

That for me is how we expose to the players to experiential and reality-based learning. They need to play.

From that can come the desire to be better and to develop an understanding for how they can improve. 

What if you cannot get more? 

Do they watch soccer? Can you send them highlight reels to watch?

Can you give them homework? (I know, they don't all do it) - Do they all have a ball, or do you have all the balls? Do they have to figure out what to do on their own, or will you send them something simple to work on, as an introduction?

Frame each training session with a skill-based goal.

EXAMPLE. We practice on Wednesday.

Family email/message on Monday:

"Whilst we work from the play practice play methodology, and today is building from the gk, there is going to be a need to use a 1-touch turn. 

Here are some 1 touch turns:

Youtube link (outside hook)

Youtube link (inside hook)

Youtube link (chop)

etc.

Please practice, and we'll use them on Wednesday."

Follow up from Wednesday:

"For our game on Saturday, we have two goals:

1 - Successfully build from the gk into the opponents half. We will count these.

2 - For every player to use a 1 touch turn. We will count these."

The more communication, reasoning, goal-setting, and inclusion of parents, the more success you might find.

Reality - your players are not practicing on their own, but you can really influence what they do with their time at home!